Sunday, February 3, 2008

Magazine Transfer

The magazine transfer process was very interesting to me. The process behind it was a bit strange having to deal with the limits of the film strip, as opposed to what can be filmed. You instantly are working in a very constrained environment, and if you want to try and create something (abstract or not), you have to really plan it out. Half the time I felt like I was a psychopathic criminal as I cut out the letters and pictures from magazines, and then methodically placed them in the desired order. It didn't matter how well I thought I measured out my strips, after comparing them to the film stock I would have to go back and trim the sides down again and again, until very little of what I wanted was left. Still, I haven't seen the images projected so they might end up being more intense. The painting on film was also interesting, but since I painted the film strip horizontally, I have no idea of what it will look like once it is run vertically through a projector, and this was something I wasn't even taking into consideration at the time, and how it might affect the way I want the image to be seen.
I've become interested in the ideas of installation art, and VJing, and I think that the magazine transfer process could be incredibly useful in these sorts of projects. There is something about it that reminds me of being in lower school, and doing these sorts of crude cut outs and making collages, which is what it really seems to be, one big collage.

No comments: