Sunday, April 27, 2008

Line Describing a Cone

I thought that this piece was really interesting. I'm not sure how you would classify it. Is it sculpture? Is it cinema?
The best part about it is the build up, and smelling that horrible fake fog build up in the room. The entire process of it really sort of shook me as to what experimental cinema could be, and I've been thinking a lot about projections and installations. I am a big fan of video art and VJing but this just seemed a bit beyond because you could actually interact with the art, not only as a finished project but also as it was forming. I think that is the future of video art and video performance. I have seen kids turn their nintendos into midi controllers and use them to score music or control visual affects.
The whole thing took on a new dimension when the cone was about halfway complete. You could see the spiral of it and look at how milky and ghostlike the fog looked. There was a great sense of motion about it, like the light was a physical presence or structure that the fog moved and rolled down.
When the spiral was finally done, it was amazing to stick your head right up in the center and look at the perfect circle of light, and be able to move through it. I particurarly enjoyed when people would stick their hands through. They just seemed to burst into the scene, and their shadows would ride back through the light as completely black.
I would be very much interested in pursuing things like professionally. It really was a lot of fun to experience.

No comments: